General Discussion Race Reports! » Portland Triathlon Club Mock Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portland Triathlon Club Mock Sprint Tri - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Vancouver, Washington
United States
Portland Triathlon Club
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 21s
Overall Rank = 2/50
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Had a hard time getting to sleep but finally fell asleep about 11:40 was very nervous for the race because this was my first tri ever. Woke up at 5:40 ate some oatmeal and drank some coffee. Loaded our gear into the car and made the short 10 minute drive to the race site.
Event warmup:

There was about 80 minutes of clinics put on by the Portland Tri Club before the start of the race covering each event and each transition so listened to those and tried to keep from getting to nervous. Was able to get in the water for a few minutes prior to the start of the race and swim around and get used to the water. It was a lot colder then the lake that I had done my two open water practice swims in.
Swim
  • 12m 14s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first time swimming in open water with any more then one other person next to me. I took the advice of other experienced triathletes and positioned myself to the outside of the where the first buoy would be. My start felt pretty good. I definately felt like a fish in a Koi pond in the beginning. My goggles fogged up almost immediately and I had a hard time sighting. I swallowed a good mouthful of water at the first buoy which made me choke for a minute but I was able to recover. I just tried to kind of follow the pack but I ended up swimming farther then I needed to. The long leg of the swim I was able to get some good open water but after we rounded the last bouy I ended up getting kicked in the face several times by either me or someone else going off track. Overall I felt strong and confident in the water though and I think I came out in about the top quarter of the pack.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to get my goggles to not fog.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I had not done any transition practice other then some bike/run bricks so this was my first time and picked up some little things that will make it go quicker next time.

Practice more. Do things in a more orderly fashion
Bike
  • 39m 24s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

I had just started biking about 4 months ago and am riding a fairly heavy cyclocross bike but with all of that considered I was very happy with myself. I felt like I could push the bike a fair amount harder and still be able to run well. I think I may have taken in a little to much water though during the ride because I had a bit of an upset stomach for the last bit of it.

Work on what kind of pace I am capable of which I believe is still faster then what I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

T2 felt slow to me. I chose to go sockless on my bike but not in my running shoes since I had never done it before so I had to put some socks on and I almost tipped over from twice trying to get them on. I could see the first place male leaving T2 just as I entered which pushed me to move as quickly as possible.

Work on building my feel up so that I can run sockless.
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.56 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

My run overall was great. I was hoping to be under a 7 minute mile pace and I pulled it off. my splits were 7:12, 6:56, 6:49 and then 6:38 pace for the last half of a mile. The first mile was fairly rough my stomach was still turning and got worse before it got better I was burping ever 30 seconds or so and thought that i might puke and then on top of that my feet were asleep for about the first 3/4 of a mile. At about the one mile mark though my watch told me my pace which I was happy with and I could see that I was gaining on the runner ahead of me. I caught him at about 1.4 miles and then was able to increase my lead into the finish. I tried to tell everyone I passed good job on my heading back leg of the run which helped motivate me too.

Figure out my my stomach was so upset and why my feet went to sleep on me. Push it harder last half of the run knowing that I can carry that speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and then enjoyed the BBQ that the tri club put on. Cheered for the other people who were finishing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience but overall I was very pleased with myself. I was the top male in the sprint distance and 2nd overall for the sprint.

Event comments:

Was an amazing first race and it has me hooked even more then before.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-05-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:14 | 766 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/50
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR hurrican Cat 1 Full sleeve wetsuit
Course: The course was a one loop swim.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:24 | 13.4 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 3/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was out and back and almost perfectly flat. Had a little wind on the way out and a little tail wind on the way in.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:39 | 03.56 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 2/50
Performance: Good
Course: Course was an out and back and perfectly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-14 4:28 PM

User image

Subject: Portland Triathlon Club Mock Sprint Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portland Triathlon Club Mock Sprint Tri Rss Feed